In this article we will show you how to install Joe Hunt Magneto into Triumph & BSA motorcycle. You can also read our other article to know more on how to maintain & tune your Triumph & BSA motorcycle:
- STEP 1: Remove spark plugs and gap .018. Remove timing cover (right hand side of engine) over battery ignition points. Disconnect and tape (insulate) all battery connected wires.
- STEP 2: Hold breaker cam in opposite direction of rotation (advanced position) and rotate engine until the points on #1 cylinder just start to open. Note: Use .0015 feeler gauge or Joe Hunt Magneto timing device.
- STEP 3: Remove breaker plate, breaker cam advance mechanism, and dowel pin from internal taper if your model used a dowel pin to position breaker cam and advance mechanism. CAUTION Do Not Rotate Engine. If engine is rotated, reverse rotation until piston is down and the cylinder at least one inch before top center on the compression stroke.
- STEP 4: Rotate engine in normal direction of rotation until piston is 5/16 from top center on compression stroke. Install magneto ignition adaptor plate and adaptor shaft in cam taper. DO NOT TIGHTEN SHAFT. CAUTION 1963 to 1970 Triumph Motorcycle unit construction twins have a different length taper on shaft and internal threads are dissimilar. Suggest checking threads and taper. 1963 to 1970 bolt has BSF 1/4 x 26 threads. 1971 and later bolt had 1/4 x 28 thread. Early shafts are marked with the letter "A". Later shafts are marked with "B".
- STEP 5: Remove Magneto cover. With shaft slightly loose in taper mount Magneto so that points are just starting to open and bolts are approximately in center of slot (for timing adjustment later).
- STEP 6: Carefully remove Magneto and tighten center bolt in shaft. Re-install Magneto and time. Install cover and plug wires. Hook up ground wire to a separate kill switch to ground only. DO NOT HOOK ANY BATTERY CURRENT TO MAGNETO.
Point Gap .012 to .015